Wetlands Green Wave 2020
Call for wetland organizations to participate in the campaign
Green Wave is a worldwide campaign to enhance biodiversity. It is held every year towards the International Day for Biodiversity on May 22. In Japan, the campaign is organized by the Ministry of the Environment Japan and other organizations. Linked with this campaign, Ramsar Network Japan has been organizing another campaign, “Wetlands Green Wave (Green Wave in wetlands),” aiming to expand the campaign to activities in wetlands. We would like you, wetland organizations, to join the campaign by registering on the Wetlands Green Wave. You can join with a variety of activities that undertake to conserve wetlands and use them wisely.
In the last half century, 35% of the world's wetlands have been lost due to global warming and urbanization. The rate of loss for wetlands is three times faster than for forests. The rate is accelerating in this century. As a result, one-quarter of all species in wetlands are threatened with extinction.
People who have learned and experienced the richness and importance of living things in wetlands will want to protect wetland environment. This campaign will surely increase the number of people who act for the development of sustainable community.We would like to invite you to cherish a larger wave of Wetlands Green Wave by joining your activity, as a small drop will make a big swell over time. It will be a seed to realize a “society where people and nature coexist harmoniously”.
About Wetlands Green Wave
April to July, focusing on May 22 (International Biodiversity Day).
Details of the Campaign
The Secretariat of Ramsar Network Japan (Ramnet-J) will provide the following supports during the campaign for events and organizations participating in Wetlands Green Wave.
- Creation and distribution of leaflets with participating events.
- Introduction of participating events and organizations, and information on local wetlands on the Wetlands Green Wave Website.
- Registration and reporting to national campaign of Green Wave 2020 (*1) by Ministry of the Environment and other organizations.
- Registration for participation in the Nijumaru Project (*2).
- Preparation of the report “Wetlands Green Wave 2020”.
- A report meeting organized jointly with local NGOs (planned).
- Lending panels/poster on biodiversity in wetlands created by Ramnet J
*1) cf. http://greenwave.undb.jp/
*2) cf. http://bd20.jp/
Example of types of participation event
In addition to nature observation event, survey on living things, rice planting, wetland cleanup, symposium, study session, photo and picture exhibition, concert, movie screening, eco-tour, hiking, workshop, and other events related to the conservation of wetland biodiversity in general.
Closed-type events within classroom, school, workplace, etc. that are not open to general participants can also be registered.
Types of target wetlands
Lakes, marshes, rivers, mangroves, tidal flats, sandy beaches, rocky shores, coral reefs, seagrass beds, rice paddies, reservoirs, dam lakes, etc.
Registration: Method and Deadline
- Please send your application form to the campaign secretariat (Ramnet-J)
by one of the following methods:
- Download and fill out the application form from the following URL and send it by e-mail or fax.
- Fill out and submit the application form at the following URL.
- Application form
- Application form
- Primary deadline: February 29 (Sat), 2020 (Event information posted on the leaflet and website)
- Secondary deadline: May 31 (Sun), 2020
(Event information posted only on
- Primary deadline: If you fill out and submit the form (leaflet manuscript) in the thick frame of the application form by February 29, the information will be posted on the leaflet that provides basic information such as the date and time of the event.
- Secondary deadline: Even if you do not meet the primary deadline, you can send the application until the secondary deadline. In this case of late application, event information will be provided only on the homepage.
- On the homepage, details of the event, introductions of groups and wetlands, etc. will be posted. Please send the text for the website as soon as the details of the event are decided, using the box of the application form with a narrow frame.
WWF Japan / Wild Bird Society of Japan / The Nature Conservation Society of Japan / Japan Civil Network for the United Nations Decade on Biodiversity / Japan Committee for IUCN
for application and inquiry
Ramsar Network Japan: TEL / FAX 03-3834-6566
E-mail: email@example.com (exclusively used for Wetlands Green Wave)
Wetlands Green Wave website: http://www.ramnet-j.org/gw/